what appears below is a selection of files culled from a brief review of the recent "satanic ritual abuse" witchhunt, inclusive of thorough bibliographic and descriptive text from a variety of sources. they are identified for further reference. in most cases the data is a description as regards 'Satanism', 'Satan', or 'the occult' (typically condemnatory or theological) from people *other* than Satanists or occultists.
EXPOSING THE 'SATANIC PANIC'
- "Report on the 'Satanic Ritual Abuse' Witchhunt", by boboroshi
- this report contains pertinent excerpts from the OCRT
- website and the report by Kenneth Lanning (see below);
- constructed for the purpose of diffusing the disinformation
- surrounding the 'Satanic Panic', it combines careful
- citation with specific restatements of fact. of moderate use
- to the Satanist who is not energetic enough to review the
- longer OCRT and Lanning excerpts, presented in a direct and
- debunking style.
- "Does Satanic/Sadistic Ritual Abuse Exist?" (OCRT), by unknown author/editor
- a rudimentary but sincere attempt to piece together the
- facts regarding the Satanic Panic witchhunt; some of its
- presumptions are simplistic and half-baked, but the OCRT
- is still one of the more reliable non-sectarian sources
- on religious issues outside secular academia. the Satanist
- might find the data here interesting from a cultural and
- inter-religious perspective.
- "The Satanism Scare", by Gerry O'Sullivan
- an erudite and informed broadside on the Satanic Panic
- as it unfolded in 1991 by an author within a University
- of Pennsylvania publication ("Postmodern Culture").
- highly entertaining and insightful social commentary.
OFFICIAL STUDIES ON CRIME AND OCCULTISM/SATANISM
- "Investigator's Guide to Allegations of 'Ritual' Child Abuse", by Kenneth V. Lanning (FBI)
- the nail in the coffin of "satanic ritual abuse" and its
- absolutely fictional character; debunks "occult crime"
- and makes clear that more crimes have been committed in
- the name of "God" or "Christ" than ever for "Satan".
- of essential value to the Satanist who wants to provide
- convincing evidence to the interested or confused
- "The JET Report" (excerpts), by the Nottinghamshire County Council Revised Joint Enquiry
- of meager interest to the Satanist. reproduces debunking in
- a localized region as has already happened in the US and
- other areas. contains no appreciable reference to Satanism
- as a modern movement, only reflections on Christian
- nightmares and condemnations.
- Nevada Search and Seizure Example, from Truth@alt.satan
- reflections on a teenage murder case; contains analysis of
- seizure of book "Witchcraft"; police thought this killing was
- 'satanically motivated' due to journal writings found and
- witness statements. of interest to the Satanist on account of
- the type of investigatory techniques used and legal protection
- available to the modern occultist
CHOICE EXAMPLES OF SATANIC PANIC MATERIAL
- "What Is a Cult?", by Bob and Gretchen Passantino
- guide to the Christian in dealing with 'cults'; probable
- value to the Satanist is as a warning for how even
- "enlightened" Christians will likely approach in order
- to 'save the deluded from Hell'; little relevance beyond
- this -- no solid academic basis, no clear concepts of
- what constitutes a 'cult' beyond competing religion, etc.
- A Parent's Guide to Satanic Cult Ritual Abuse (Humor), by LMNOP
- farcical and ridiculous in its content, this lambaste
- of Satanic Panic legends pokes fun at the common
- elements of ritual abuse lore and takes us beyond the
- bounds of pleasantry into sick and twisted humour. the
- Satanist may find something comedic about the extremes
- contained herein and what a Christian might be led to
- Excerpt from RA Home Page Bibliography on Teenage Motivations, by an unknown author
- a sample from bibliographies below indicating the type
- of attitude which a Satanist might expect from those
- who have been convinced of the 'satanic ritual abuse'
- "problem". extremely valuable to the teenage Satanist
- who wishes to be prepared for the worst.
"SRA" BOOK REVIEWS AND BIBLIOGRAPHIES
- "A Review of 'Witchcraft, Satanism and Occult Crime: Who's Who and What's What, A Manual of Reference Materials for the Professional Investigator', edited by Otter [Oberon] Zell", review by boboroshi
- a critical review of this Neo-Pagan propaganda which
- purports to be an authoritative aid to professional
- investigations of 'satanic- and occult-related crime'.
- the curious Satanist will find a correction to a
- publication sold and promoted by the Church of All
- Worlds, unabashedly fueling the Satanic Panic.
- "Ritual Abuse Home Page Book Reviews", by Bob and Gretchen Passantino
- reviews of "The Black Mask: Satanism in America Today"
- by John Charles Cooper and "Painted Black" by Carl A.
- Raschke, as well as a number of books on 'spiritual
- warfare'. the Passantinos are some of the more coherent
- Christian book reviewers, eyeing critically the wealth
- of schlock and flim-flam that passes for reputability.
- Satanists may here find examples of Satanic Panic text
- as reviewed by Christians with some scruples.
- "Raising the Devil: Satanism, New Religions, and the Media", Bill Ellis author, review by boboroshi
- review of this scholarly examination of American
- legend-making, urban scare-mongering, and tall-tales.
- Excerpt from _Demon Possession Handbook_, by J. F. Cogan
- "Rock Music: The Devil's Advocate, by Terry Watkins
Books Journal Articles Papers, Reports and Bibliographies Videos
further edited to include only titles or descriptions relating to 'the occult' or 'satanism', these resources contain classic texts, extremely valuable academic papers, and a host of completely ludicrous scare-mongering. Satanists may enjoy perusing these lists as raw material for occult studies or to become acquainted with Satanic Panic standards.
- The Ordur of Kaos Under Satan (TOKUS)
-- the underlying k@s that makes all this possible
- Satanism Archive
- Smackers -- self-described Satanist expressions
- Compare outsiders' descriptions of Satanism and satanism:
- Propaganda -- non-Satanist religious and academics
- Delusion -- you're soaking in it!
- Mother Church (CoE)
-- the progenitrix of eco-ethics
Illustr. credits: "krampustile" was cybercrafted by nagasiva, scanned from a 1932 postcard printed by "Erika" with krampus on red and white background, 1998; 'Snake Bar Devils' is an improvement on the 'Authentic Candle of Desperation' packaging from Botanica Del Leon Rayon (Mexico) by nagasiva, 1998.
SATANITY, SATANISM, DEVILRY, AND INFERNALITY
The Gospel of Satan: the story of Jesus and the angels, from the perspective of the God of this World
Satanism Bibliography: composite booklist of relevant sources on Satanity and devildom, by category
Satanic Blood Pact: explanation of how, why, and when to make a blood pact with the Devil
Adversarial AEon Begins: the particular and specific incident of a Satanic Blood Pact described
Manifesto Satanika: a generalized Satanic sociopolitical manifesto, with a helpful elaboration
nocTifer: a tender-hearted Satanian (nagasiva yronwode) in all avenues of expression
Bookmarks in compilation from the Magus of the AEon of the Adversary
MAGIC, SPELLS, AND DIVINATION
Hoodoo in Theory and Practice by cat yronwode: an introduction to African-American rootwork
Southern Spirits: 19th and 20th century hoodoo accounts, with ex-slave narratives & interviews
Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers: readings and hoodoo services
Hoodoo Library facilitating an education on conjure, and help procuring modern sources
Herb Magic: illustrated descriptions of magic herbs with free spells, and a way to obtain them
Free Spells from eclectic witches, Coven Kyklos, in their Book of Shadows, called "Spiritual Spells"
Lucky Mojo Spell Archives: love spells, money spells, luck spells, protection spells, and more
Mystic Tea Room: tea leaf reading, teacup divination, and a museum of antique fortune telling cups
Tarosymbolismatrix Tetraktypisciseferoticus: the symbolic foundation of a novel Tarot deck
Change Oracle: rudiments of Yijing (I Ching) and several means of using it for readings
Lucky W Amulet Archive by cat yronwode: an online museum of worldwide talismans and charms
Usenet FAQ Archive: arcane and spiritual FAQs and REFs, brought to you by Lucky Mojo
YIPPIE: the Yronwode Institution, bearing the standard of indigenous ethnomagicology
OCCULTISM, MYSTICISM, AND RELIGION
Arcane Archive: thousands of archived usenet posts on religion, magic, mysticism, and spirituality
Missionary Independent Spiritual Church: inter-faith; candle services; Smallest Church in the World
Sacred Sex: essays and articles on neo-tantra, karezza, sex magic, and sex worship
Aleister Crowley Text Archive: a multitude of texts by an early 20th century occultist